Labels

Saturday, April 2, 2011

I scream... you scream...

We all scream... for ice cream!! Since I live closest to Waverly, we tend to run most of our errands there. Recently, the "seasonal" Dairy Queen re-opened and after it was closed for a few months, we definitely needed to stop in!

Before we went to DQ, I didn't stop to review the nutritional information, but chose my favorite of all time, a small chocolate chip cookie dough blizzard. Love this! After my indulgence, I just had to take the time at home to "assess the damage" and found that my favorite treat holds 710 calories and 28 grams of fat. I could just feel my thighs getting bigger as I typed that :)

Since we tend to treat ourselves and stop at DQ more often than we should, I took the time to compile a little mental list of the healthier (and not so healthy) options for ice cream at DQ and here they are:

  • Any of the DQ plain cones (chocolate, vanilla or chocolate dipped cone) fall below 300 calories, even for a large
  • Small or medium sundaes are great choices, in a dish, not a waffle bowl
  • Chocolate dilly bar- 240 calories, with most dilly bars about the same calorie leve
  • Fudge bar- 50 calories
  • DQ ice cream sandwich- 190 calories

  • Blizzards, shakes, or malts= poor choice with lots of calories, up to 1450 calories for a Georgia Mud large blizzard and even 400 calories for most mini blizzards
  • DQ cakes- 440 calories for 1/8th of an 8 inch cake
Try to make a choice that falls around 200 calories at most. Also, walk to DQ to burn off some calories prior to indulging!

Happy Spring and welcome the ice cream season!

No comments:

Post a Comment